December 9, 2014 at 2:29 am #562AnonymousGuest
I have a few questions/concerns with using the excerpt post style under post settings not behaving properly…
1. The last two posts I created didn’t show in excerpt format after I published them. I had to edit the post and manually insert a ‘Read More’ link after publishing. Not a major issue but I’m not sure why it’s happening, especially since I don’t recall that happening before while I was testing. Does it matter what post type I am using? The last two posts I published were gallery post format.
2. In one of my posts, I included a link back to another blog. It shows fine when I click into the post but the hyperlink does not show in the excerpt format. Is this expected behavior? See the screenshot I have attached to this thread.
3. In the same screenshot, you will notice the first word in my post is not aligning correctly. I only notice this behavior in excerpt format on my mobile device in portrait mode. Could this be a slight character spacing issue? If the first word in the post was several letters long instead of one, would it be formatting correctly?
Not sure if it helps, but here is the url to my blog: http://www.showmechow.com
Thanks as always for the support.
JimDecember 9, 2014 at 7:52 am #1456
Hello Jim,Quote:I had to edit the post and manually insert a ‘Read More’ link after publishing.
Read More logic is,
When the Post Style is Content in Appearance > Contango Options > Post Settings
You can use tag in the editor to execute Read More link
When the Post Style is Excerpt,
It will fire Read More link automatically PROVIDED the content length of the post meets the 55 characters at least.
So, i think the posts where you are unable to see the Read More link, have no or less content. So logically, there is no Read More content and no need for Read More link.Quote:It shows fine when I click into the post but the hyperlink does not show in the excerpt format.
WordPress trims HTML markups in the except mode so you will unable to see the link in the excerpt format.Quote:In the same screenshot, you will notice the first word in my post is not aligning correctly.
I have forward this question to the developer. They will fix this issue in the next update.
Thanks for your time and feedback.December 9, 2014 at 3:39 pm #1457AnonymousGuest
Thanks for the reply. The only thing I am not clear about is the Read More logic. My two most recent posts are much greater than 55 characters in length, so I don’t understand why this would be an issue.
JimDecember 10, 2014 at 5:22 am #1458
Hello Jim,Quote:My two most recent posts are much greater than 55 characters in length
I have rechecked the code and Read More logic is different for Post Formats. It seems, Excerpts does not support in post formats. I have also submitted this point to the developer for possible implementation in the next update.
Thanks for your feedback.December 15, 2014 at 12:33 am #1459AnonymousGuest
Just wanted to pass along a couple more things I have observed with the Read More logic…
1. The excerpt will never display in more than one paragraph. So if the post has a brief first paragraph and the 55 word limit is not reached until the second paragraph, the excerpt will still be displayed in one paragraph no matter what.
2. I am using a recipe card plug in. When I was testing, I created a post with just one or two sentences and added a recipe card to my post. When I published the post, the excerpt pulled in text from my recipe until it reached the word/character limit. I’m not very concerned about this, because I don’t think any of my posts will ever be that brief for this to be a problem.
Just wanted to pass this information along in case you wanted to take a closer look at all the Read More logic code.
JimDecember 15, 2014 at 7:17 am #1460
I have forward this thread to the development department.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.