Most of the Permalink settings won’t work for me :(

WordPress Themes, Plugins and HTML Templates Forums Arcane WordPress Theme Most of the Permalink settings won’t work for me :(

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tgendron
    Participant

Hi there!

I am verrrrry new to wordpress but I have been making great progress over the last two weeks. Everything is new new new.

I guess I was on some default permalink situation where I could edit the end of my permalink so that it made more sense and was a better reflection of the page, search-wise. Everything worked fine.

But just now I discovered the SETTINGS area and went into Permalinks and changed it to: http://lightcenterlove.com/sample-post/ (POST NAME) because I really didn’t want the date in my url and some php thing. It looked too messy.

WELL, all my links are broken now :(

I get this message even when I am just ‘previewing’ the page…???

Not Found
    The requested URL /edgar-cayce-3-day-apple-fast/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

If I change the PERMALINK to Plain: http://lightcenterlove.com/?p=123 then the url isn’t editable, which I need it to be.

None of the options seem to work at all. Seems strange that I can’t even ‘preview’ without getting that Not Found message.

I am obviously not getting it :)

I hope someone can help me with this!

My url is: http://www.lightcenterlove.com and ideally I’d like my urls to look like this: http://www.lightcenterlove.com/name-I-give-it

I look forward to hearing from someone.
    Thank you!

tgendron
    Participant

As a quick update. I created a brand new post with the current Permalink settings on POST NAME and the name was editable and it was exactly how I would want it to look. As a draft I could preview the post just fine. As soon as I published it I got the same Not Found error…

admin
    Participant

Hi,
    Please try the following steps to resolve permalink issue,

1. Make sure that “mod_rewrite” rule is enabled for your hosting. It is normally enabled for most of the hosts.
    2. Make sure that the root directory of your blog at your server is writable. This directly will be usually on most server is “htdocs” or “public_html”.
    3. Make sure that .htaccess file is writable on your server. This file will be created by WordPress for rewrite rules which are required for SEO Permalinks.
    4. After verifying the above steps, please choose your permalinks settings via Settings > Permalinks and save the changes.
    5. After hitting the save changes button. You should give your attention that the Permalinks are successfully updated. Message will be like “Permalink structure updated.”

If you are unable to see this successful message. It means, you have to focus on first three steps.

Following article will also be helpful to you.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

Thanks

tgendron
    Participant

Hi there! Hmmm after doing several searches on how to do your 1, 2 and 3 (it’s all greek to me) I’m just not sure…

I have successfully gotten the “Permalink Structure updated” messages when I change it to PLAIN.

When I change it to the one I want I get a message that says: If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press CTRL + a to select all.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

So then I found a video showing me how to make that code into a .htaccess file and upload it to my File Manager – but it will NOT upload :(

Do you think I’m on the right track? I have no idea how to do what you’re telling me :(

Also – I had successful permalinks/urls for the couple of weeks I’ve been creating pages (although not in the format I want) so would that not say that everything is fine in the 1,2 and 3 realm you ask me to check? Or could those things have gotten deleted or unwritable disabled by me trying to get another url format??

tgendron
    Participant

Which piece of code is correct? I found this one on a help page
    # BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

tgendron
    Participant

OK, I figured it out – wooo!

In case anyone searches this same topic.

If you get this message in green on your Permalinks page: You should update your .htaccess now – then you need to:

copy and paste that last piece of code in my last post into a notebook file and save it as: x.htaccess – save as ALL FILES or it won’t save properly with no ending.

Then go to your cPanel or your File Manager and click on the public_html file then UPLOAD your x.htaccess file and then CHANGE FILE NAME to .htaccess (I think this must be important because it wouldn’t upload a plain old .htaccess file – it would only upload the x.htaccess file and then I was able to change the name to the correct one) and then right click on that and either go to Properties or Change Permissions and change them to be 6 6 6 (instead of 6 4 4) – It was denying me but then I just adjusted the MODE’s and the numbers changed. I saved that and then, voila, my pages are saving in the format I like now! Woooooweeee!

Then, you have to go back in and right click on the .htaccess file to change the numbers back to 6 4 4 for security purposes.

Hope that helps someone else!

admin
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your detailed response.
    Your response will be helpful for many others
    Cheers :)

tgendron
    Participant

Hope so! :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.