Questions About Using Portfolio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello,

I have started what is mainly a food related blog and am including recipes in some of my posts. At some point I would like to create a recipe index using the Contango Portfolio functionality. With that in mind, I have a couple of questions about using the portfolio feature…

1. I am cropping my images for blog posts to 580 x 350 as recommended. Portfolio images are recommended to be a minimum of 940 x 600. For using portfolio, would you suggest uploading the image a second time to my WordPress media library at dimensions of 940 x 600? Or is there a way I can duplicate the image in the WordPress library? Or can I use the same image in two different places using different dimensions for each?

2. I create a page using portfolio template and save as draft. I create a portfolio, assign a title and featured image, add text (or recipe card) and save as draft. When I preview, I do not see an image. Is there a way I can create portfolios and a portfolio page, save as draft, and make sure everything looks good before I publish it? Or would I need to create a test site to do this?

Thanks as always – I really like the Contango theme and appreciate all of the help and support you provide.

Jim

admin
    Participant

Hello Jim,

Quote:
    Or can I use the same image in two different places using different dimensions for each?

No need to upload duplicate images. Simply, upload the maximum size of your image say “940×600” or even higher. Contango will generate all required images automatically.

Quote:
    I create a page using portfolio template and save as draft.

Portfolio template is a placeholder. It gets the portfolio posts and display them accordingly. So, you must have Published Portfolio Posts to view the Portfolio template in action.

As for test is concerned,

– You can test your each portfolio post before publish.
    – Now (Once you published your portfolio post), you can test your Portfolio Template page before publish it.

Thanks

Anonymous

Thanks very much! This helps a lot. Just want to clarify one point…

Once I am done testing, I will publish the Portfolio Template page and portfolio posts. Now each time I want to add a new portfolio after that, I can create the portfolio post, save as draft, and view it in the portfolio template page before publishing the post. Is that correct?

Jim

admin
    Participant

Hello Jim,

Quote:
    Now each time I want to add a new portfolio after that, I can create the portfolio post, save as draft,

You can Preview POSTS only like Regular Blog Posts or any Custom Post Type like Portfolio.

Quote:
    and view it in the portfolio template page before publishing the post.

Portfolio Template page will display published portfolio posts only. Draft posts will not be visible.

Practice Makes The Perfect

Try some posts and you will be perfect with the passage of time. You will learn formatting, featured images etc after publishing two or three posts. After this practice, i believe you will be confident to publish the portfolio posts.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.